WHO WE ARE
Our life together is focused on common worship, a commitment to social justice, and spiritual growth through programs for adults, youth, and children. All Saints is particularly known for its fine music program. We welcome people of all backgrounds to join us in sacrament, fellowship, witness, and action.
Our Sunday Service is at 10:30 a.m.
This is a traditional Eucharist with classical Anglican hymns and anthems sung by the All Saints Choir. It also includes prayers for healing with the laying on of hands. Christian education for children and youth (PreK – Grade 12) is offered during this service. Nursery care for babies and toddlers is provided.
Our Saturday Service is at 5:00 p.m.
This service of Holy Eucharist reflects Celtic ceremonial and musical traditions, drawing on material from the Iona Community and other sources. We welcome all to this innovative and beautiful service.
MEET OUR STAFF
The Rev. Richard Burden
The Rev. Dr. Richard Burden was called as Rector of All Saints Parish in 2014. Born and raised in Colorado, Richard received a BA in Theatre Arts from Colorado State University, an MA from the University of Colorado at Denver and a PhD from the University of Chicago, where he studied Christian conversion in early 20th century China. He began his first career as a bookseller working at the Tattered Cover in Denver, and after a journey through academia he discerned a call to ordained ministry which led him to the Church Divinity School of the Pacific, in Berkeley, CA.
Richard was ordained in 2009 and was first called to the Episcopal Diocese of Lexington to serve as Priest in Charge, and also to help develop a groundbreaking program of leadership and congregational development known as The Network for Pastoral Leadership. In 2013, he began to sense God calling him in a new direction, this time to New England. He is a Fellow of the Beatitudes Society. He says, “I went into ordained ministry because I wanted to be a catalyst for individuals and communities to become the people that God needs them to be and to do the work God so urgently needs them to do.”
With his spouse Monica he is also a parent to two school aged children. He tweets (very inconsistently) @revburden, and loves to spend his down time hanging out with his family or at the Coolidge Corner Theatre, the MFA, or Fenway Park.
The Rev. Anoma Abeyaratne
The Rev. Anoma Abeyaratne ministers as a staff chaplain at Franciscan Hospital for Children and as Priest Associate at All Saints. She served as a Cox Fellow at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul and the Diocese, and as a chaplain at Boston Children’s Hospital. Prior to her call to ordained ministry Anoma worked as a Clinical Nurse at the Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital. Anoma is a Registered Nurse, a Board Certified Chaplain and holds a Master of Divinity degree from the Episcopal Divinity School and a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing from Michigan State University.
She was an active lay leader in the diocese of Massachusetts for many years prior to being ordained and maintains a passion for issues of social justice, particularly around the issues of diversity. Her interests include contemplative prayer, walking outdoors, cooking and needlework.
Children, Youth, and Family Minister
Kathleen will be joining us in July 2017 as our Children, Youth and Family Minister. She has Masters degrees in Education from Capella University in Minneapolis and Divinity from North Park Theological Seminary in Chicago. In addition to her work with us, she has served as a hospice chaplain and is a foster, adoptive and birth parent. Kathleen has over thirty-five years of experience working with children with educational end emotional challenges. She lives on the Cape with her two youngest charges and loves the natural resources around her but is equally delighted by the life of the city. She loves music, film, theatre and reading, and perhaps most importantly, her beloved Red Sox. She is particularly passionate about offering an extravagant hospitality to all of God’s people.
Organist and Director of Music
Winner of the 2011 Canadian International Organ Competition and Vice-President of the American Guild of Organists, Christian Lane is one of America’s most accomplished, respected, and versatile young organists. “A true artist whose gratifying musical maturity is demonstrated through playing that is suave, elegant, and exciting (The American Organist),” he holds a Bachelor’s degree from the Eastman School of Music, where his mentor and teacher was David Higgs. He subsequently completed graduate work with Thomas Murray as a Robert Baker Scholar at Yale University.
Passionate about commissioning new music and using the organ in collaborative settings, he frequently performs throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe. He has premiered commissioned works of several composers, including Nico Muhly and Carson Cooman, and regularly performs joint programs with internationally acclaimed soprano Jolle Greenleaf.
Increasingly established as a teacher, Mr. Lane maintains a large and vibrant organ studio in Boston and has taught on several summer programs, including England’s venerable Oundle for Organists. As an accompanist, he has recorded several discs with choirs; his first solo disc was released on ATMA Classique to critical acclaim in 2012, and two discs, “Sounds of the Yard,” featuring the new instruments at Harvard University were released in 2014.
Mr. Lane has been privileged to serve within several of the United States’ most prominent parish music programs; included are the Episcopal Churches of Trinity-on-the-Green (New Haven) and Saint Thomas Fifth Avenue (New York City). From 2008 to 2014, he was Associate University Organist and Choirmaster at Harvard University.
Youth Music Minister
Jessica Petrus will be joining us in August 2017. Jessica enjoys an active career as both a voice teacher and soprano in the Boston area. She is thrilled to be joining All Saints Parish this year as conductor of the Schola Cantorum and Cherub Choir, where she hopes to further a curiosity for music and artistic connection in her singers. She loves working with singers of all ages, and has taught voice at the Advent School and Choate Rosemary Hall. Jessica is a graduate of both the University of Michigan in voice and music education and of Yale University in voice.
David Bliss, Parish Administrator, in office Monday through Friday
John Plonowski, Bookkeeper
Renato Dantas, Sexton
Sue Poon, Evening Office Manager
Alexandra Geoly, Elizabeth Adams – Security Receptionists
Eileen Sweeney, Emily Manning-Mingle, Jamie Johannsen, Rachel Steinberg – Nursery Care
MEET OUR VESTRY
Term ends 2018: Christina Meyer, Charles Rigg, Jeff Thibault
Term ends 2019: Rob Hillman, Chris Newth, Yvonne Schlaeppi
Term ends 2020: Margaret Harrison, Robert Honeysucker, Anne Sistler
ALL SAINTS PARISH HISTORY
The stained glass windows of All Saints have been described as “the best examples of ‘Boston glass’ under one roof.”
Click here for a tour of the All Saints Parish stained glass windows created by parishioner Rick Montross.
All Saints Parish was conceptualized in 1893 when 24 people who lived near Cleveland Circle believed there should be an Episcopal church in their neighborhood. At the time, there were already two Episcopal churches located in eastern Brookline: St. Paul’s Church, built and consecrated in 1852 and Church of Our Saviour, built and consecrated in 1868.
On September 10, 1894 this small group of worshippers wrote a letter to The Rt. Rev. William Lawrence, Bishop of Massachusetts, for permission to build a new church. While they waited for his reply, they started worshipping in the Beaconsfield Casino
The Beaconsfield Casino was a one-room building people gathered to bowl, dance and play pool. It was also a space the first members of All Saints Parish church would worship. On November 1st, 1894, Bishop Lawrence led the worship and the congregation officially became All Saints Parish
Dr. Daniel Addison arrived the following month becoming the first rector of All Saints Parish. He led the congregation for the next 25 years overseeing major developments within the church. With Dr. Addison’s help, the congregation found and procured land at the corner of Beacon Street and Dean Road (at $.75 per sq. ft.). Services continued to be held at the casino until the summer of 1895 while a small wooden church was built.
As the congregation continued to grow, plans for a larger and sturdier church building were made. The congregation approached the architects Ralph Adams Cram and Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue who proposed the following “perpendicular gothic” design.
The cornerstone of the present building was laid by Bishop Lawrence on November 1, 1898 and on All Saints’ Day 1899, the first worship service was held in the new stone church. At the time, only the nave had been built, no aisle chapels or chancel. Meanwhile, the original wooden church continued to be used as the parish house where meetings, meals and church school classes were held until 1910 when it was taken down.
The construction of the stone church took another twenty seven years to complete, incorporating significant revisions of the original design. Some of the changes included a new Parish House (1910) and the addition of a Rectory (1913). Inside the church, the west aisle chapel of the church was built connecting the nave with the new Parish House. In 1926, the chancel and the resting chapel were added completing the building interior. Church school classrooms, a kitchen and dining room were added to the Under Croft. The entire building, free of debt, was consecrated by Bishop Slattery on October 31, 1926.
At the dedication the architects Cram & Ferguson remarked: “All Saints, Brookline, was one of the first churches of large size which was designed by the then firm of Cram, Wentworth and Goodhue, and it is therefore one of the structures which commands the most enduring interest and affection on the part of the successors of that firm.”
Since the mid-1930’s, the Beacon Street entrance was added as well as windows and furnishings have been constantly added or relocated. In the 1950s, the ivy that was growing all over the exterior of the church had to be removed to protect the mortar holding the stones together. In addition, the roofed entrance at the Beacon Street door was also removed.